Wednesday, January 25, 2012

India's flag block

It's finished, and I think it is my favourite block to have worked on so far.  Part of the fun was researching Indian symbols and culture, and there were many to choose from.  Plus I have access to beautiful fabric in the multi-cultural area that I live.
The green and white sequined curved pieces came from a child's tunic.  The gold trim on the left decorated another garment, and the sequins and beads used for the peacock covered the sleeve of a lady's very ornate blouse.  

Banyan trees

Lotus flower

Henna designs

Elephants

Shisha mirror and words from the national anthem
This is the centre motif from the Indian Flag

The peacock.  

5 comments:

Mánya said...

Beautiful work! I especially love the Banyan trees and the peacock.

Cathy K said...

Oh Diane, this is exquisite! You always put so much time and research and love into your stitching, and it shows. Those banyan trees are beautiful, and the peacock is just delightful! I love it!!

Susan Elliott said...

Love the use of those sequins for the peacock!! That was inspired...And the cast-on trees...well...I just love those too....

Brain Dumps said...

It's great expression of Indian Culture.

Pamela said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!