Thursday, May 22, 2008

Learning how to Tatt

It's a craft I've always admired, it's so dainty and fragile. I tried years ago with a shuttle, but couldn't get the hang of it. A couple of years ago when Lewiscraft closed down I bought an instruction book and some very long needles and had another go. I had a mental block following the instructions and didn't make any progress.
When I began CQ, it became necessary that I tried again because little tatted pieces just belong on crazy quilts! I spent an uninterrupted evening and just concentrated, unpicked, tried again, until I found a very simple way to wrap the thread and hold the needle. I've mastered the very basics only, and have a long way to go, but at least, after all these years of wanting to do it, I can now do it!
The little pieces shown are not "fine", I've used fairly heavy thread, but they are recognizable as a flower and a butterfly!
A friend from our Seniors Craft Club gave me a beautiful piece of her mother's tatting. That will be saved for something really special. That's a dime in the photo to give you an idea of the fineness.

4 comments:

Gerry said...

The tatting is beautiful!

Wendy said...

Diane, your tatting is very pretty. I too am learning to needle tat. I love the vintage tatting also. My grandmother's was fine like that also.

Anonymous said...

i do all kinds of crafts, but tatting has always been a difficult one to do. your work is amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! I'm so pleased to see that someone else finds joy in tatting. My great-great grandmother did some pretty fancy things, too. She made a three-foot doily with a flower and teardrop pattern that, after all that time, is still in perfect condition. It looks as though it's not very pretty when you first look at it (like a cloth with holes), but you look at it and realize that the 'cloth' part is actually fabric that she somehow managed to sew onto the tatting and the 'holes' are actually butterfly wings and hydrangeas.