Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jack's block finished

Jack's block is finished.  That is I've finished the embroidery but still have to bind it (I've cropped the raw edges out in the picture.)  The two close ups are my favourite bits on the block.  The first is a row of long bullions to make a small seam that doesn't intrude onto the photo of Jack.  I can see that they are not nearly perfect, but honestly they look better in reality than in the photo.  I used Edmar thread on most of the stitching, and it is more difficult to work with than perle, but It does give a nicer look, and is worth the trouble of ironing each length of thread!  The second favourite is the patch with the feather stitch filling up the centre with the double cretan on one side the buttonhole and chain on the other.    

Monday, March 22, 2010

Karrin's Stumpwork block ...... continued

I added a wheelbarrow carrying a fir tree that's waiting to be planted

Friday, March 19, 2010

Karrin's Stumpwork Block

Here's what I have been working on for the last few days.  This is Karrin's stumpwork block in a CQI RR and I am the first to work on it.  It's quite a small block as blocks go, 9" x 12" with lots of patches of different mossy green fabrics, so I kept my work fairly small.   The tree has a raised stem band and lots of bullion cherry blossoms. The pink, blue and lilac delphiniums are raised chain bands with wrapped stem stitch stems.  The chrysanthamums are whipped spiders' webs with french knot middles and various woven picot leaves. I used the cast on stitch for the pansies which are in a rockery on the block.  The sunflower petals and leaves are also woven picots, and the stem is the raised stem band.  The bee was worked on felt and then attached to the block. When I took the block photo my little bee was protected by a piece of organza ribbon just so he doesn't get damaged.  The wings are quite fragile.  One stitch I tried several times but I just couldn't get it right is the raised cup stitch.  Does anyone have any pointers?  Mailing out date is the end of March, so I still have time to maybe add something else!

My Florida Sewing Spot

This is my comfortable Florida sewing spot that my friend Mo organized for me while I am on vacation here.  I have everything around me that I need, my supply of books, silk ribbons, threads and beads and the OTT lite.  Most of my supplies you can't see because stuff is also on the floor around my feet.  I have one of the sofa cushions and a soft cushion at my back, which leaves a big hole to the side of me where I have a box full of my threads.  It always looks a mess, but we all know you can't sew CQ and be tidy!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Elijah's birth announcement block

In between the CQI Round Robins that I am working on, I have been trying to get caught up with these announcement blocks for my five grandchildren.  This is Elijah, my youngest at 4 months.  The two next in age, Brynn, one year and a bit, and Josh, 2 years and a bit I have completed.  The other two, Jack nearly 7 years old and Caleb 3, were born before I began crazy quilting, so I am playing catch up.  Jack's is almost finished and will be featured soon! 

Monday, March 8, 2010

Arlene's Silk Ribbon Embroidery RR

I'm in the sunny south with a tee shirt, shirt and two sweatshirts.  The weather has been pretty cool and I've had to keep my hands warm somehow!

I'm working on Arlene's Silk Ribbon Embroidery RR with CQI.  Her block is so pretty, all pinks.  It came from Candji who was the first to work on this block.  This picture is the block after both of our work.  My contribution was the very middle patch.  I usually am not so bold as to pick the middle, but this time it was the perfect shape for what I had in mind.  I added two tall stalks of hollyhocks, clusters of iris, daisies and snapdragons, with panseys and some un-named little flowers in the very front.  I  covered the two top seams with a dark maroon 4mm ribbon randomly attached with tiny pink beads.   Mostly I used variegated and plain 2 and 4mm silk ribbons, except for the hollyhock leaves which were done with 13mm ribbon. 

The next photo is a close up of the middle section. 
Just above the centre there was a nice little triangle that I put in an assortment of gathered ribbon flowers and leaves.  The two seams are herringbone in 4mm ribbon with some pink seed beads at the "V"s.