Saturday, June 21, 2008

My garden

View from my balcony looking north east: View looking south east:
I live in a condo and it's about 35 years old. Because of it's age it has nice big rooms and it's solid, all concrete, so I don't hear anything from my neighbours, up, down or sideways. I have a very long balcony, I think about 50' long and about 6 to 8' wide. I've been here about 5 years. I moved from a house when my daughter left to get married. Each year I have had a garden, some years were better than others. For instance the first year I grew climbing beans that did so well, but every year after that they were a flop. I'm still experimenting some, this year it's lettuce, but my main success has been the tomato. And the best tomatoes have consistently been the little ones, Tom Thumb, Sweet 100 Cherry, etc. I have the end wall which gets the most sunlight just for these baby tomatoes, and I've installed netting up to the ceiling because these little fellows actually climb (with a little help) up to the top of the 8' net. Here are some of the tomato plants: I was a little late getting them planted this year because it was coldish around our planting weekend (24th May), but they are sturdy and growing well now that the weather has warmed up and I have my bucket filled up so that they are watered often. Here are the lettuce at about 10 days old: And here are the spring onions:

There is nothing sweeter than vine ripened tomatoes and I'm looking forward to August when I will be picking them.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love the views from your balcony. I love the size of it, and the sound of your rooms.
How wonderful not to hear your neighbors. That's very important!